Philosophy & Ethics
Wednesday Notes (WeNo) - 9/2/20
Thank you Kentrell, for presenting on ethical codes today... And thank you all for a phenomenal discussion. Here are some of the discussion question highlights for you to ponder:
- Why is it that diversity is often overlooked in ethical codes?
- What are some diverse characteristics that go above and beyond what we can see (gender and race)?
- Who is involved in creating and enforcing the ethical codes?
- What happens once a code gets broken by someone high up on the food chain (NFL team owner)?
- Does it seem like athletes are held at a higher standard than everyone else? Why or why not? Describe examples.
- Check the updated presentation schedule and prepare yours if you are up.
- Go to the library website, find the article for next class, and read it. The full APA reference information you need to find the article is located in the syllabus, as is the calendar.
- Turn in your assignment on blackboard before class.
- Come to class (or zoom as assigned) prepared to discuss the article and your assignment.
De Waegeneer, E., Van De Sompele, J., & Willem, A. (2016). Ethical codes in sports organizations: Classification framework, content analysis, and the influence of content on code effectiveness. Journal of Business Ethics, 136(3), 587-598.